What Causes Low Sales Results?

In the profession of sales we have an alarming problem:  many of the most commonly used and taught sales behaviors have been scientifically shown to drive down performance?  For example, a study published in the Harvard Business Review, analyzed the sales calls of 800 sales people.  The results were that only 37% of the sales people exhibited behaviors that increased the likelihood of the sale.  The remaining 63% behaved in ways that actually obstructed the sale from occurring.

The sales people featured in the study are not alone.  Frequently, when sales people lose business it is not due to their product or service, but because they inadvertently sell in ways that hinder their prospects from buying.  This is because many of the behaviors that sales people commonly utilize conflict with what science has proven regarding how the human brain constructs a buying decision.  These unproductive behaviors are what produce low sales results. 

However, there is great news.  There’s never been a more exciting time to be in sales because over the past few decades, there has been an explosion of scientific research on how the human brain makes choices and which factors influence what we say, how we act, and what we decide to buy.  Today we know that heightened levels of sales performance are a result of how closely aligned sales behaviors are with how the brain naturally creates a buying decision.  In other words, the more your way of selling mirrors how your buyers’ brains are influenced and naturally form buying decisions, the more successful you will be. 

Sales people who leverage this science-based way of selling experience an unfair advantage over competitors.  Why?  Because they are literally selling the way that their potential customers brains are wired to buy.  This harmony between selling and buying significantly increases sales results. 

Also, because science-based selling strategies are verifiably effective and have predictable outcomes, sales people have confidence that following them will help them sell more.  And since these selling strategies are grounded in how the brain works they’re straightforward and easy to learn. 

In today’s hypercompetitive selling climate you need every advantage you can get.  This is why many sales leaders believe that science-based selling is the future of selling and is just too important to ignore. 

Don’t lose sales that should be yours, look into science-based selling before your competitors do. 

Click here to download this article in pdf.

< Previous
Why Sales Simulations Should Replace Ride-alongs
Next >
What is Science-Based Selling?